Santa Claus is Coming....to Kill.

This post is not for those who still believe such thing as Santa Claus exists.
So if you do, great. Happy Holidays!


I warned you.

Ok, so I've posted about how the Japanese celebrate Christmas last year's Christmas post.
Now, I am kinda freaked out by just how fast the time has passed since that post..anyhow, with the city still blasting 80s Christmas pop music, I thought "Hmm..it's almost Christmas, I want to write about Christmas..something about the happy memories I had as a child."
So now I remember my favorite Christmas show in Japan called "Santa is coming to kill."

I had to really try to think since when I started not believing in the existence of Santa Claus.
The memories of Christmas growing up in Japan as a child are so faded and I kind of came to remember that I never really believed that Santa Claus existed.
As far as I could remember, my parents probably gave me presents for Christmas saying it was from Santa Claus.
Besides having two older sisters, and I mean, older like 9 and 11 years older than me, I never particularly was a child-like child.  I grew up faster in a way that I always was seeing things with somewhat more realistic view.
As being a non-Christian country, the Japanese ideas of Santa Claus were not as particular or detailed as those in America. I never really knew that he was from North Pole until rather recently. (seriously.)
But when my parents told me that Santa left me presents, I guess I was ok with that. They would tell me he came through a window or a door since our house didn't have a chimney like those we saw on TVs or books.  But I knew my parents, specially my father had almost some kind of phobic that he would not sleep unless he really made sure everything was locked at the house. So when they would say things like that instantly made me wonder if they were lying to me or not. I don't think that kind of details really mattered to me though in terms of who gave me the presents or how he got into our house;I was happy that I got what I wanted. 
I don't really remember particular moment that I started doubting my parents for telling me that Santa Claus came to our house and left me presents, but I remember asking them one day if Santa Claus actually exists at all.
They never really answered my question. I think my mom had this nicely awkward smile and said if I believe it, then he exists. 
And I was kind of a child who was questioning his existence from the beginning so their answer put me in the really foggy place for a while.
I remember asking my classmate in early elementary school if she believes in Santa, she was like "Of course!" and I was kind of relieved and kind of thinking that sounds fishy.
By mid elementary school I was pretty determined to deny the existence of Santa Claus.
After watching bunch of skinny Japanese salary-men dressed up like Santa in the city, or my all time favorite movie Gremlin, I was solid.
(Remember, in Gremlin, that girlfriend of the boy told him she found her father in the chimney, dressed like Santa Clause? How sad.)
Well, all these were not my happy or sad memories of Christmas, but there was this show called "Santa is coming to kill" that I really loved.
It was a special TV show that they aired once a year only during the Christmas and the story went something like Santa Claus comes with his axe to murder couples on Christmas day.
It was considered horror but I thought that was rather a comedy.
I just remember so vividly about this TV show because, really, until then, there had been nothing or anyone telling me that Santa was a bad guy.
That's right, I didn't believe in Santa Claus, but it was still shocking as a child to see Santa with an axe.
The most memorable thing about that TV show was that it wasn't like a man dressed up like Santa Claus, he really was the Santa Claus.
I guess that TV show was successful that they made the second episode following year or something but I don't recall watching it particularly.
Oh and it was aired on national television in Japan.
Suppose if they had a TV show like that in America, it'd probably be on cable TV.

So..if you've read my last year's Christmas post, then, there you go.
I was watching this horrifying TV show with chickens from KFC with my family. ;)
What a happy family memory.

Oh, and here's another happy thing to share;

My jewelry was featured in the mail magazine by the Japanese crafts site "Creema" !
Yay for my Japanese fans!
And of course Etsy is open 24/7, 7 days a week.
Have a wonderful Christmas week, everyone!
Thanks for reading,
今回のブログはサンタクロースを未だに信じている方向けではありません。
信じている方々へは、この場をお借りして、ハッピーホリデー!

一応警告させて頂きました。

去年のポストになるんですが、アメリカ人には理解し難い日本のクリスマスについてのポストがありました。てゆーかもうそっから1年経ってる事に正直びびりまくってるんですが!今更!
とにかくですね、マライアが未だに聴こえてくる街の喧騒を横目に、何かクリスマスらしくハッピーなブログを公式ブログで書こうと思ったんですね。何か私の子供の頃のクリスマスにまつわるエピソードでも。。と思いまして、何が真っ先に浮かんできたかというと、
「サンタが殺しにやってきた」という今思えばなんとも斬新でぶっ飛んだタイトルのテレビ番組なんです。
(あぁ、そういえば明石家サンタも。。) 

サンタの話になりますが、思えば私は小さな頃からあまりサンタクロースというものをハナから信じていなかったような気がします。
あんまりサンタに関わるような思い出も無かったので殆ど記憶にないんですが、一応私の親はプレゼントをクリスマスにくれてサンタさんが持ってきてくれたんだよ、みたいな事を言ってた時がありました。
うちの親はかなりの潔癖で、特に父は脅迫概念でもあるのかと疑う位、家の施錠は全て必ず確認しないと落ち着かないというような人だったので、どことなく「窓から入ってきた」だの、大胆不適にも「ドアから来た」等言われると「何か。。。胡散臭い。。」と子供ながら自分の親を疑っていたような記憶があります。
私には結構な年の差がある姉が二人いるんですが(9歳と11歳離れてます)多分そういう環境で育ったせいか、何となくあんまり子供らしからぬ子供というか、そういうところがあったように思います。 
日本はアメリカと違ってクリスチャンの国では無いので、サンタがノースポールに住んでいるとか、そういう細かいとこはあんまり知らずに私は育ちました。てゆうかノースポールに住んでるとかアメリカに来て最近知ったし。
と りわけこういう出来事があったからサンタを信じなくなったという事はないんですが、(というか覚えていないだけ??)でも自分の両親にある日サンタって本 当に居るの〜?みたいな事を聞いたら、二人とも胡散臭い笑顔で困ったように「居るって信じてたら居るんじゃない〜?」と、これまた混乱させるだけ の煙のように掴み所がない答えが返ってきました。今思えば何とも無責任ではあるけど、なかなかの適当な返事ではあったと思います。
 小学校低学年の頃に、クラスメートにサンタって居ると思う〜?と聞いたら、当たり前や!みたいな返事が返ってきたんで、ふーん。。と言いながら正直どこかほっとしたようで、こいつも胡散臭い。。と思っていたような記憶があります。
それでも中学年の頃にはサンタ等というものは存在しないと完全に悟っていました。
繁 華街でひょろひょろの(アメリカのに比べると大概半分位です、人間のサイズ)サンタを大量に見かけたり、あと私の大好きな映画グレムリンで主人公のガール フレンドがクリスマスにまつわるエピソードを話す流れのシーンを観たりしたのもあってか、サンタというものが虚像であるということを直に学んだんだと思い ます。
ここまでは別にハッピーな思い出とか悲しい思い出とかいうんではないんですが、
とにかくその頃に現れた「サンタが殺しにやって来た」のドラマが強烈に記憶に残っているんです!
古尾谷雅人がサンタ役でとりあえずカップルを 片っ端から持ってる斧で殺していくんですが、誰か覚えてる人いないですかね〜・・。
衝撃だったのがサンタに仮装した男という設定ではなくて、古尾谷雅人はサンタ、というのが何とも斬新で、今思えばアメリカだったら問題になってただろうな〜というドラマでした。
それまでサンタは信じていなかったにしろ、まさか悪人しかも人殺しとは思って無かったので子供ながら複雑な気持ちでテレビに釘付けだったのを覚えています。
ケンタッキーのチキンにでもかぶりついて観ていたのかな。。
ハッピーな思い出です。 もうひとつハッピーな エピソードをシェアさせて下さい🎵



12月23日付けのクリーマのメールマガジンにPigeon Dynamiteのジュエリーがフューチャーされたんです!

今後ともよろしくお願いします。
それではみなさん、素敵なクリスマスをお過ごし下さい。
読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。
日本語でも対応しています。メインサイトはこちら
ブログから購入の仕方の説明をさせて頂いています。購入法はこちらから
チェックしてみてくださいね!
読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Autumn

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Questions to Be Answered