Rediscover Good Japan ~Vol.2

So...I started the series Rediscover Good Japan last week.
I hope people find it interesting and find something new about Japan through my experience.

This week, it's Nikko, Tochigi.
Nikko is the capital city of Tochigi prefecture, which is north from Tokyo.
When I visited, I was on my backpack trip by myself.
And this trip happened by an accident.

I think it was around summer of 2005 or 2006, I was visiting my family in Osaka and, as usual, I suddenly decided to do a backpack trip to Kamakura by myself.
So I went to a book store to purchase a travel guide of Kamakura.
Kamakura is a famous touristy city in Kanagawa prefecture located in south of Tokyo.
I always wanted to visit the city, I don't know why particularly but I guess I always liked the sound of the city.
As I expected, I found Kamakura travel guide books piled up in the domestic travel section.
Now, I might sound a little bit picky to some people, but I normally don't take the first book that is on top of those stack of books.  I usually take second or third one from the top so that it is not read by people and does not have wrinkly pages.  So, I did so just as usual and I put the book with other magazine I was going to purchase.  After I paid those books, I carried them in a bag the book store gave me then I went to a coffee shop to read my travel magazine.
As soon as I sat down with my coffee, I was so excited to start planning on my trip and I opened the bag and pulled the travel magazine.
Then I saw the title of the book said

 Nikko.

I paused for a second.
But next second, I already decided to go to Niko instead.
I don't know how I picked Nikko travel guide,  I guess somebody put Kamakura book on top of Nikko books but I was just convinced that it was meant to be.
 So, that's how I ended up going to Nikko.


 
Tobu-Nikko station. 


Nikko's major tourist attraction is its historic places such as Nikko Tosho-gu.
Nikko Tosho-gu was built in 1617 during the Edo period under a Shogun called Tokugawa Ieyasu.
Nikko Tosho-gu is said to be influenced strongly by Onmyodo, Yin and Yan.
The main gate and the gate to enter the site are said to be planned to make a center point that directly locates under the Pole star and the line is planned to direct north from Edo, which is Tokyo today.
 Also, If you connect the main structures in Tosho-gu, it's the shape of Big Dipper.
It's got many impressive details in the structures and have more than 5000 sculptures in within the structures which all are said to have meanings to.


It is a pretty powerful spiritual site.



Nikko is also known for its nature, which is a big tourist attraction.
One of well known area is Okunikko which is an area that is 600 meter (1968.5ft) higher than city of Nikko (600 meter above the sea level) in elevation. (which makes it 3937ft in elevation.)
Therefore, even during the infamous Japanese miserable summer time, Okunikko stays cooler than the city. 

Okunikko has several famous falls.
I could get to see two of them.
 
Before I hit the falls, I got some soba and grass mochi for lunch..it was actually not that good, but I cold get the seat right by the falls so it was worth it.


 Ryuzu falls (This picture is taken upper part of the falls.)

Kegon falls


You can take a bus to get around the town but also you can take trail along the lake called Chuzenji.


I just walked and walked..
 
 Okunikko is very peaceful and quiet.  It'll give you time to have peace in mind. Japan is such a strange country that has so many cities that are completely developed with technology and are full of people but there are places like this rather closely located to the cities.  Okunikko is not particularly too isolated because of its tourist attractions, but you can find the Zen moment anywhere you go. It almost feels like it's in the air that is slightly sharper and more crisp.
I stayed in Nikko for three days and one of the places I stayed was Nikko Kanaya Hotel, which is the oldest western hotel in Japan.
It was opened in 1873.
 It looks a bit like a drama set, like a scene where murder happens...
They expanded the hotel by building annex but I wanted to stay in the original building so I did and frankly it was a bit creepy maybe because I was alone,
 maybe because I went to see the exhibition at night in the empty room that they were having at that time about their history using the black and white film which was the creepiest highlight of the night.
But I got to learn Frank Lloyd Wright, Einstein, and other famous people had stayed in the hotel. Then I ran away to go get my vegan monk dinner in the mountain. (No, I'm not kidding. And it was the best meal I've ever had. If you would like to know the name, let me know.)
However, overall the hotel was nice. I highly recommended. Their breakfast is very famous as well. Maybe just don't stay alone and go see the exhibition at night by yourself.

The last day I stayed in Yumoto, which is a small hot spring town even farther away from Okunikko.
There are only limited buses that go to Yumoto from Nikko, towards the end of my bus ride, there was only a few people on the bus besides myself. 
The town is nothing like main part of Nikko, where there are many tourists.
The town is known for the hot spring that was said to be found around 788.
However, it is obvious that the town is far enough from Nikko so that not many tourists visit, there are only a countable numbers of hotels left. 



To me though, these places are usually the great spots that really offer their true hospitality.
As far as I know, people who own or work at those places know their charm is not their shiny new buildings or fancy tubs, or expensive meals or collections of convenient devices come with the rooms, but their welcomes and great hospitality.
I think many of us forget to appreciate and realize that kind of importance so easily when we are put in front of all kinds of fancy goodies that are only valuable materialistically.
 The hotel where I stayed in Yumoto was old and beat, but the people and the food were incredible. The person who was taking care of my room and me during the stay brought dinner and breakfast to my tiny cozy room and each time she explained what each dishes are, saying they used local vegetables, fish, and seasonal ingredients. It was nothing fancy, but I really loved the food and was amazed once again how simplicity could make things so perfect. 

My amazing traditional Japanese breakfast

 They also made homemade ice creams so I purchased one after I took private hot spring.   Honestly, this tiny hotel beat many of the hotels I've ever stayed just for the service I received and the price was less than $100 a night. It was worth the trip and it's worth more than its cost.


Also, Yumoto has a store that makes the most incredible thick jelly-like red bean paste sweets with salt flavor called Shio-Yokan.
This is the store. "Tsuruya" 

Tsuruya has been making only Shio-Yokan since 1958. 
They say that everything sells out by noon if it's not reserved so
first thing in the morning before I take a bus to leave Yumoto,
I went to buy some Shio-Yokan.
The store is take out only and as I was told, most of them were already reserved.
But luckily I could buy a few. 
Inside of the store had many beautiful photos of Yumoto in all seasons, and the lady was telling me how beautiful it is during fall and winter in Yumoto.
I'd to go back just for the Shio-Yokan but I'd love to come back for the people and the town.
And Japan still has many places like this. It's just hidden, and it's just quiet.
But because of that, when you discover them, they make you appreciate more and maybe you appreciate that they were hidden and quiet.

  More good Japan is coming up next week..

thanks for reading.



そういう訳で先週から始まりましたこのシリーズ
私の経験を通してでしか書く事ができませんが、読んでくれたひとが何か新しい発見なりあったら幸いです。


今週は栃木県の日光です。
日光といえば、栃木の県庁所在地にもなっています観光地で有名ですね。
 かくいう私も観光目当てにいつもの様に急に思い立ってひとり旅に出た訳なんですが。
完全に日光はアクシデントでした。

多分2006年の夏だったと思うんですが、大阪に滞在していた間に突然旅に出たい衝動に駆られまして、何を思ったのか猛暑の中、鎌倉に行こうと思いついたんです。
(正直、響きが好きでちょっと涼しいのかも、位のアホな考えしか頭になかったんですが。。)予想通り本屋に鎌倉のトラベルガイドが山積みになっているのを見つけ、
やや潔癖の私は一番上の本ではなく上から2、3冊目を取って持っていた本に重ねてすぐさま会計を済ませて、近くのコーヒーショップへと向かいました。
頭の中は既に鎌倉です。ワクワクしながら袋から取り出したその瞬間目に入ったのは

日光

あまりの違いさに目を疑って一瞬止まってしまいましたが
次の瞬間には、じゃー日光行こう。
という具合で急遽予定変更になりました。
今思えばそうなる様に導かれていたようにも思います。 
 日光の主な観光スポットは数ある歴史的建築物です。
日光東照宮はそのひとつで、1617年に徳川家康の下で建築されました。
家康は陰陽道の知識があった為、東照宮はその影響が強く残されていると伝えられています。例えば鳥居から陽明門を結ぶ中心の上空に北極星がくるように計算されていて
その線を真南にたどると江戸にたどり着くように建てられたと言われています。
 主な建築物を線で結ぶと、北斗七星の形となる事も計算されていて、家康の陰陽道への関心の高さが伺えます。尚、神社の中にある5000以上もの彫刻物ひとつひとつに意味があると言われています。


 とても神聖で力強いパワースポットである事に違いはありません。


日光は、その他にも豊かな自然が魅力の観光地です。
そのひとつは奥日光と呼ばれているエリアで、日光市内の標高600メートルよりも更に600メートル高い地にあり、そのため気温が市内よりも低く、避暑地として知られています。



奥日光には幾つか有名な滝の見所があります。



私は竜頭の滝と華厳の滝、ふたつ見る事ができました。


だんご等を食べて滝を見るのもなかなかよろしかったです。(残念ながら味は今ひとつでしたが。)



バスでも移動可能ですが、遊歩道があったので中禅寺湖にそって
そのまま山道を進んで行きました。ただひたすら歩くのみです。

奥日光は大変静かでとても平和な気持ちになれる土地でした。
日本はそもそもこういう土地が大都市からそうも離れず存在する、ある意味奇妙な先進国だと思います。奥日光も其れ程過疎化が進んでいるような田舎ではなく、
勿論観光客で賑わう、どちらかというと人気の多い土地ではあるのですが
ところどころに静かなスポットが存在し、その度に心が清められるような神聖な土地でした。説明しづらいですが、何と言うか空気が鋭いというか。

 日光には三日程滞在しましたが、その中で日本で一番古い洋館ホテルの
日光金谷ホテルに宿泊しました。創業は1873年だそうです。





以降、別館を造る等して拡大していったホテルですが、オリジナルの方に泊まってみたかったのでそうしました。結果、やや奇妙でひとりで滞在するにはちょっと気味の悪い経験になったんですが。 


ホテルの内装はまるでドラマのセットのようでした。
何か殺人事件とかが起きそうな。。

ちょっと気味が悪かった上、映写機がまわる金谷ホテル歴史展等という
展示会をひとりで見に行ったのもちょっとおどろおどろしかったです。


薄暗く、静かな長い廊下を抜けて、たどり着いたら
誰も居ない展示室で
白黒のフィルムの映写機が、ただカラカラと音を立てて回っていたのを見た瞬間
後悔したのか、ひとを呼ぼうと「金谷ホテルの歴史展示会やってるよーーっ!!」とほんとに叫ぼうかと
 一瞬思いました。
(けれどもお陰でホテルにフランクロイドライトや、アインシュタインが滞在したのを学べたんですが。。)
その後は颯爽と来た道を走り抜け、精進料理を食べに行くべく、もっと気味の悪い夜の山道を登っていった私でございます。(マジで。でも本当に美味しかったんです!!料亭が気になる方はお知らせ下さい。。)
 しかしながら、ホテルはなかなか良い味出してて、おすすめです、朝食が有名のようで、
オムレツに日光名物の湯葉が入っていて、美味です。
ただひとりで宿泊して、夜展示会にひとりで行くのはおすすめしません。


最終日は奥日光から更に奥へ入った湯元へ向かいました。
湯本へ向かうバスの本数も限られている上、あまり歓楽気も無いところなので
終点の湯元迄乗車していたのは私と数人だけでした。
  湯元は788年に発見されたと言われる温泉でその名が知られるようになります。しかし今日では日光の観光客の集中と、人里離れた土地にある事も手伝って古びた旅館や廃館となった旅館等が残っていたりするだけのがらんとした土地です。
 でも個人的には、こういった土地こそ本来日本人の持つ献身 的なおもてなしが受けられると思うのです。ただ真新しい建物や、高級感溢れるバスルームや、最新のテクノロジーで飾り立てられた部屋、高級食材等のアクセ サリーを持たず、ただあるものだけで心から歓迎されて、もてなされる事が本当に有り難いと実感させられる経験が出来るのはこういう土地で働くひとや、そこに住むひとが、都会に慣れ物質主義と化した私たちが忘れてしまった何かを未だに持ち合わせているからだと思います。

私が宿泊した小さな旅館は古く、お世辞にも綺麗とは言い難い施設でしたが、
そこでお世話になったひとや、頂いた食事は本当に素晴らしかったです。
夕食を部屋に運んでひとつひとつ丁寧に、これは裏の山で取った山菜でこれは今朝釣ってきた川魚、これは季節のもの、といったように説明をして頂いて食べた夕食は
何 も高級なものは無かったですが、素朴な食材を見事な迄に料理されていて本当に美味しかったのを覚えています。あと自家製のアイスクリームも売っていたの で、離れの貸し切り温泉に行った後購入してしまいました。。カップに鉛筆でフレーバーが書かれてるあたり、本当に手作りなんだ。。というのが伺えてほっこ りしました、そしてアイスは激美味。
そんなお部屋も二食付いて正味一万以下でした。
それ以上の価値があるのは言う迄もありません。


 そしてもうひとつ、湯元には知る人ぞ知ると言われた塩羊羹のみを造り続ける
つるやという所があります。
1958年創業以来同じ方法で作り続けていると言われる塩羊羹のお店は
湯元にひっそりと立っていました。
予約だけで正午には売り切れてしまうと言われる持ち帰り専門のこのお店に
湯元を出発する日の早朝、バスの時間をチェックして開店と同時に行ってきました。
噂通りほぼ全てが予約で売り切れていましたが(!)ラッキーな事に
数本購入する事が出来ました。
店内には四季を通しての湯元の美しい写真が飾られていました。
お店のひとが、秋は文句無く綺麗だけど冬の湯元もとても素敵だと話してくれました。
私はこの塩羊羹の為だけにでも湯元迄行くと思いますが、でもまた違う季節の湯元もいつか訪れたいと思っています。
日本にはそんな場所がまだまだ沢山残っています。多くはひっそりと、ただ一目に付かなかったりしますが。けれど、だからこそ発見したときには、その存在に感謝しあるいは静かなまま見つけられるのを待つ姿に感謝するのだと思います。

発見は来週も続きます。。

読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Autumn

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Questions to Be Answered