Feedback

As I started this blog in both languages (English and Japanese), 
I re-discovered the difficulty of translation.
There are many English words I don't even know what they are translated in Japanese.
For instance, I still don't know what "degree"(academic, not temperature) is in Japanese.
I don't know how to explain some English expressions that cannot be translated directly
into Japanese because we simply don't use them in our culture and 
this applies vise versa.
 Feedback was one of the words I learned when I moved to California.
I did not know the word in Japanese, and still don't know what is called in Japanese.


I was in a language school in LA at that time, 
and was put into three or four people's conversation group.
 The assignment was to get to know my group members, write a paper
about a person I pick from the members then we were going to read in next class.
I became close to one Swiss girl (or German, I don't remember)
and she told me to meet her Australian roommate from UCLA after class.
 I thought that would be a great help specially writing a paper in English.

Well, it could have been.

We met up with her roommate in Westwood.
He was a tall Australian and had very different accent that I thought was more like British.
He seemed to be very nice and fun. 

With his thick Australian accent, I had trouble understanding.
Also I still wasn't particularly used to English itself yet.
He said he likes to surf and loves California.
He told me about a very fun party he went, three days ago.

And that was the moment the unfamiliar accent and my ignorance ended 
our possible yet unhappenning friendship.
 
Then he went "wanna come tonight's party?"
Instantly I went "No, I'm busy."


Next day we exchanged our papers and the teacher told us to give 
"feedback"
to each other. 
As she was reading my paper, she suddenly went "what!?"
She was so loud that the teacher came over to take a look at my paper.
My teacher went "Are you serious?!" so I said yes.
Then she looked at me funny for a little.
Swiss girl friend started laughing after reading my paper out loud.

I wrote about my conversation partner from Switzerland whose Australian roommate
from UCLA went to a fun party where three people died and asked us to come to the another one that night.
 Curiously wondering what kind of junkies I could meet,
but I definitely did not want to die.

My Swiss girl friend's feedback was
that I should have been familiar with Australian accent.
She explained to me how "three days" Australian accent sounds more like 
"three dies" and I misunderstood the whole conversation.
I remember more than learning the Australian accent, 
I learned the word "feedback" that way.
Her paper about me was something like, I am a  funny person or something.




Feedback is important. 
Sometimes I almost desperately need to hear people's opinions.
Because otherwise I may not understand things I don't see. 
And it gives me motivations.
So far, my feedback has been extremely fortunate and very appreciative.
If you have any suggestions/opinions on my Pigeon Dynamite
please let your voice be heard.
I won't tell how many people died.


ANNOUNCEMENT!
My shop is coming to Brooklyn Artists&Fleas on September 14th!

Thanks for reading.


英語と日本語両方でブログを書き始めてから、
改めて通訳の難しさを痛感させられてます。
英語で初めて覚えた言葉や、日本で使わない英語圏の表現を
日本語にするのって凄く難しいです。(その逆も然り。)
未だにディグリーを日本語で何て説明するのかも分からない感じです。
 フィードバックという言葉もカリフォルニアに移動してから学んだ言葉のひとつです。未だに日本語で何て言うのか分からないんですが。 

 私がロサンジェルスの語学学校に通っていたとき、
3、4人のグループセッションを組まされて
そのうちのひとりについてペーパーを書いてくるように課題を出されました。
スイス人の(もしくはドイツ?覚えてないです。。)女の子と仲良くなって
クラス後、彼女のUCLAに通うオーストラリア人のルームメイトに
会わないかと言われたので、英語でのペーパーもあったし
良いアイデアだと思ったので会う事にしました。


良いアイデアになるはずだったんです。
彼女とそのルームメイトにウェストウッドで会う事になりました。
彼は背の高いオーストラリア人で、オーストラリアなまりの強い英語を話しました。
それが結構イギリス英語っぽいんですけど。
ただ当時は英語すらまだそこまで分かってなかったので私としては
彼の英語を理解するのはとっても難しかったです。
とってもナイスな感じの彼、なまりきった英語で
自分はサーフィンとカリフォルニアが好きだと言ってました。
そして3日前にとても楽しいパーティーに行ったと。。
そこで未だ始まってもいない友情に既に終止符が打たれてしまったのです。
というか、私が打ったと言った方が正しい。。
彼は、今日もパーティーがあるけどくる?と聞いてきましたが
私は有無を言わさず、忙しいから無理。みたいな返事をしてそそくさと帰っていきました。
 翌日はペーパーの交換をして相手にフィードバックをするように、と言われました。
私のパートナーがペーパーを読んでいると突然、”何!?”と大きな声を出したので
先生が駆け寄ってきて、私のペーパーを読み始めました。

先生が”マジで!?”と言って
私をおかしな顔で少しの間眺めていました。(というか完全に疑う顔)
そしたらスイス人のパートナーがペーパーを声を出して読み直して
すぐに笑い始めたのです。

私のペーパーは、私のスイス人のパートナーについてと、
彼女のオーストラリア人のUCLAに通うルームメイトについてでした。
そこで、私は完全に誤解していたんですが、彼女のルームメイトが行ったパーティーで
3人死んだ、と書いていました。
私はその後、彼がパーティーに来ないかと聞いてきたとき、
どんなジャンキーに会えるのかちょっと興味もあったのですが、
死にたくないと思ったので行かなかったとも書きました。

彼女が、3人死んだ、じゃなくて
3日前の間違いでしょ、と教えてくれてようやく気づく事が出来ました。
(オーストラリアのなまりはデイズ、でなくダイズ、みたいに聞こえるのです)
彼女のフィードバックは、私がオーストラリアのなまりに慣れる事だ、みたいな感じでした。
私はオーストラリアの鉛云々よりも、このときに初めてフィードバックがどういう意味か
分かった事が嬉しかったです。
因に彼女のペーパーは私が面白い子だとかそんなだったと思います。。
あんま覚えてません。



フィードバックは大事です。
それがなかったら、私は未だに自分の気づかない事に気づけないと思います。
そしてそれはモチベーションにつながります。
幸い、私のPigeonDynamiteフィードバックは今のところとても恵まれた事に
全て感謝の声で埋め尽くされています。
もしもご意見、ご感想がございましたら、是非フィードバックしてください。
何人死んだとか言いませんから。

読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Almost Autumn

Questions to Be Answered