I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

For some reasons, I've been looking at Yayoi Kusama's work again recently.
It's probably unnecessary to explain who she is since her collaboration with Luis Vuitton in the past that helped a little bit making her a world famous Japanese contemporary artist like Takashi Murakami.
As far as I can remember, the first time I saw her work in person was at the NY Armory show in the city many years ago.

I remember looking at her sculpture of this flower, just instantly felt that I love her work without a thought.
Ever since, we've had some of her work exhibitions in NYC, but what I remember the most of her work is from the exhibition I went in Osaka even before these events in NYC.
There were just so many of her work in Osaka city museum.


Her famous "Pumpkin" sculpture. You can find this at Chichu museum in Naoshima, too. I am hoping to visit in near future.

The architecture of the museum is also pretty cool too.

The kids playing with her sculptures outside, taking pictures with them.
The beauty of art is that it can bring people together.





 I wish I could be in her dot world and buried in them.


The box of lights. It was such a magical experience of being inside of mirrored walls with hanging lights.

It is perhaps no need to explain her work, but I always think of her work is done without thinking.
As an artist, thinking can be the most dangerous thing to do in the process of production.
But there is none of it in her work.
She is well known for her openly admiring herself and her work.
Honestly, that's so hard for me.
I do love what I do but it's different from me admiring my work, at least not yet.
I would love to reach to that point that I could say I love what I made.
Her work all seems to have no hesitation or doubts in them.






 I often draw things like these, kind of like doodling. Well, I cannot say I do like she does, obviously I am not even a good painter.
But I like drawing to bring inspiration, or in a sense of extension of creating a design from the inspiration.
Though I know how hard it is to make something purely made out of your instinct.
I often find myself not making how I feel honestly and end up looking at what I drew and say "this is not the design-it's just a filler to occupy the blank space." 
Probably out of thousands of drawings I've done, there may be one or two, maybe not even, that were made straight from imagination without a doubt or thinking.

Ms.Kusama declare she will keep drawing until she dies because that is what she loves the most.
To her, it probably does not matter whether her work gets recognition or not.
And I assume a lot of people around her have different interest in her work which is pretty common in multi million art industry.
Regardless, her work does not have hesitation or doubts.
I also hope I can keep making what I love.
I love the process of production more than the creation itself.
If I could keep making without a boundary, without a hesitation or fear of falling, 
and say I love what I make with confidence, I honestly cannot think of any better way to live with my work and that will be my ideal life.

www.PigeonDynamite.etsy.com



Thanks for reading,


最近何だかまた草間彌生さんが気になる今日この頃です。
ルイヴィトンとのコラボの効果もあってか、村上隆さんに並ぶ日本コンテポラリーアートの重鎮としてその名を世界に知らしめる数少ないアーティストの草間さん。
思い出せるだけでも、彼女の作品を目の前で初めて見たのは、何年も前に 行ったNYのアーモリーショーという大型ギャラリーイベントでした。
彼女の花の彫刻を目にして、何か無条件に好き!と感じたのを覚えています。

その後も何度かNYで彼女の作品を見る機会があったのですが、
その前に日本で彼女の作品展が大阪であったのでみに行って、本当にたくさんの作品を見ることができました。
 皆大好きなカボチャ。直島の地中ミュージアムにもありますね。是非一度行ってみたいところです。

 大阪市立ミュージアム。建物もコンテンポラリーで素敵です。
子供達も草間さんの作品と一緒に写真を撮ったり、遊んだり、彼女のアートの素晴らしさを感じさせられます。
 このドットに埋もれたい。彼女の不思議ワールド満載でした。

 光のボックス。いくつもの光のドットの世界に入り込める、体験アート。

もう彼女について説明は不要だと思うんですが、
草間さんのアートって、完全に感覚で作られているんだろうなと毎回思わされます。
アーティストとして、考えるという行為は実は一番やってはいけないと思っているからです。彼女にはそれがない。
草間さんは、自分のアートを絶賛する事で有名ですが、
素直に「私、これ大好き」と言えるその感覚。私にはまだありません。
いつかそこに到達したいとは思っています。
感覚で、正直に作り上げていく。
自分が本当に好きと思えるものだけ。
彼女の作品には迷いが無い様に思えます。
私もよくこういう絵を描くんですが(比べる事は怖れ多くてできませんが)
 よく自分でも「違う、この部分は空間を埋める為に描いただけ。デザインじゃない。」
と気づく事があります。
私はインスピレーションを生む為の行為、またはそれの延長でインスピレーションをデザインに昇華する段階の手段で描くんですが、
完全にピュアな状態で生まれた絵は今のところ、多分1枚か、2枚。もしかしたらそれも本当じゃないかも。

草間さんは、死ぬまで絵を描き続けると断言します。
だって、彼女が大好きな事だから。
彼女にとったら、周りが認めてくれているのも関係無い。
多分大半はアートの商業絡みで、彼女もきっとそれを分かってるんだと思います。
でも彼女の作品は迷いが無い。
私も死ぬまで自分の作品を作っていきたいと思ってます。
クリエーションそのものよりも、何かを作り上げるプロセスが 私は一番好きなので
それをずっと続ける事ができたらどんなに良いだろうと思います。
迷いとか、しがらみとか無く、純粋にものを作り続けていけたら
しかもそれを自信満々に大好きと言える。
それ以上に素敵な人生は無いなぁと思ったりします。真剣に。

www.PigeonDynamite.etsy.com



これからも、葛藤しながら、頑張っていきます。

読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。


ETSY日本語でも対応しています。メインサイトはこちら
ブログから購入の仕方の説明をさせて頂いています。購入法はこちらから
日本限定サイト、クリーマも展開しています。
チェックしてみてくださいね!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Autumn

Questions to Be Answered