The golden path

Wow, I am a bit surprised this is already my 3rd post. 
I know it's not such a number to be surprised by, but knowing myself enough 
this is pretty impressively consistent. Sorry but it is.
So thank you for coming back, and for those of you who don't have a clue you could read my 1st Post or go to the links below.


this is a rough sketch I did for my "house renovation" assignment in school some years ago 
and ended up doing an acrylic paint of it for my partner later on.

So, I guess it's been already over 4 full months since I started my Pigeon Dynamite and 
I cannot thank enough for the people who have supported me and have continuously been supporting me. I've been very fortunate to have such a wonderful support to do what I love to do. I just sometimes wish that I had taken business in school though I am learning everyday. Come to think of it, I always ended up doing something I never had expected myself to do. I say this all the time but I never even thought I'd be living in the states.

I think I was 15 right before my 16th birthday when I took an escape 
to Canada for a summer being a rebellious teenage girl from Japan. 
 I don't know why but I always loved English and fascinated by the language, and at that time I think that's what I wanted more than being with family or friends.(what a brat.)
(Un)fortunately, I barely could get by with my way far limited English skill and knowledge 
than those I have now.
Besides people there spoke French (I was in Victoria, British Columbia) so you would imagine this poor Asian girl who had never been away from home and family, completely out of her comfort zone, wandering around in a freezing summer in Canada.

Well..not quite.
 I actually loved it.

Even though the Canadians were laughing at my GAP kids winter coat I had to buy 
in July, and even though I took a wrong bus and ended up in a bus garage in a middle of nowhere, I loved it.
One day, I went to one of these subway type of sandwich places and ordered a sub.
And the boy who was working there went, "what's your name?" 
Embarrassing enough I thought he was going to make fun of my name or something. 
  I think I said "NO!" but then he told me he needed my name to put it on my order.
I had no idea that's how they took orders at that time. 
Even Starbucks in Japan didn't (and still don't) take customers' names.
Then he asked me "for here or to go" (I'm not sure if that could have been "to stay" or 
"to take out" or "take away") and again, my English was as bad as my French, so I didn't understand what he said.
Then he did this gesture, pointing at his counter and the outside.
I looked at him and did exactly what he did; pointed at his counter, then outside.
I said "OK!"
I went outside, thinking he didn't want me to stay inside while I wait for my food.
He was looking at me funny from inside and I was thinking 
"most of Canadians seem so nice but I guess a few people are weird."

http://www.americapictures.net/the-empress-pier-victoria-british-columbia-canada.html

These mistakes, and kind of mistakes taught me so much more than 
what I could learn from English text books.
I remember my first experience of "American Cheesecake" 
at the cheesecake factory in downtown Victoria with friends. I think that was my birthday.
That sort of heavy cheesecake was something I never had tried in Japan.
At that time, I was so determined to come back to Canada and 
never even thought of moving to America.
 But I guess it was American cheesecake rather than maple syrup that made me across over the sea again later on.

I've visited Canada a few times since I moved to America and
from time to time, I used to wonder what if I had chosen Canada instead of America?
But the answer was always unknown since there's no "if" in the history. 
Perhaps there was a time I thought I wished I had moved there because it was so much fun for me; the whole experiences, 
but I think I already knew the past could never win the present. 
And the past which lead me to where I am today proves that was the right path I took.
So far, that decision has been probably the smartest decision I ever made.

 Well..I guess that's it for this one. Thanks for reading.


もうあっという間にブログも3回目のアップとなります。ちょっと驚いています正直〜。
たったの3回なんですけど、これだけ定期的にアップしているのは自分ではちょっとびっくりです。。すみません。
再び戻ってきてくれたリーダーの方、あがとうございます。
初めての方はこちらからブログの第一回目ポストをチェックしてくださいね。

以下のリンクでも私のポートフォリオがチェックできます。
My design studio portfolio
写真の絵は私が以前に学校の課題で出された”リノベーション”のラフスケッチ作品です。
その後でアクリルでパートナーに絵を描いてあげる事になった下書きです。

 気づけばPigeon Dynamiteもデビューからもう4ヶ月経ちました。本当にたくさんの人たちからのサポートを受けて頑張ってこれました。感謝しきれないです。
サポートをしてくださった方達、そして引き続きサポートをしてくれる人達のおかげでやってこれました。ここで再びお礼を言いたいです。
今こうして自分の好きな事が出来るのは回りの支えがあったからだと本当に感じています。
思えばいつも私は自分でも予想していなかった事をしているような気がします。
アメリカに住んでいる事も全く考えてもみなかった事です。

ある夏、日本からカナダへと逃避行した時、私は誕生日目前の反抗期まっただ中の15歳でした。何故だかわかりませんが英語に非常に興味を持っていました。
何でかこの言語は私をすごくわくわくさせたんですね。今思えば当時は家族よりも何よりも英語と近く居たかったように思います。(なんて小娘だ)
 不幸にも幸いにも私の英語は何とかやっていけるギリギリのレベルだったので、
色んな経験をしました。
それに加えて私はカナダのヴィクトリア、ブリティッシュコロンビア州に居たので
周りの人はフランス語も話していたんですね。災難でしたね。
なので容易にこのアジア人の小娘が、それはそれは寒いカナダの夏にひとり家族から遠く離れて寂しく過ごしているとこが想像できると思います。。

違います。
実際はめっちゃ楽しかったんです!
7月のカナダでひとり、ギャップキッズで買った冬物のコートを着ていて笑われても、間違ったバスに乗って、とんでもないバスの車庫迄行ってしまっても、凄く楽しかったんです。ある日、サブウェイのようなお店でサンドイッチをオーダーした時の事。
お店の男の子が私の名前を聞いてきて、何を勘違いしたのか、私は”ニョー!”(ノーと言っている)後でオーダー用に聞いているんだと言われたんですが。
スタバでもこっちは名前を聞いてオーダーを取りますね。でも当時はそんなの知らなかったんです。
そして私に”此処で食べるの?持ち帰り?”と英語で聞いてきたんですが、
私にはサッパリで、何度も聞き返した挙げ句その男の子がジェスチャーで
カウンターと外を指さしたので、私もそのジェスチャーを(何故か)真似て
私は彼が店の中で待つなと言っているんだとトチ狂った勘違いをしてしまい、
 ”オーケ!!”と言って自信満々に外へ出て行ってしまいました。
そのままポカーンと私を見ている店員をよそに、外でぼーっと店内を見つめながら、
”カナダ人はみんな優しいけど、変なひともやっぱり居るんだな〜”
と考えていました。 

こういう間違いは英語のテキスト等で学べる事よりも沢山の事を教えてくれました。
私の初めてのアメリカンチーズケーキは、ヴィクトリアのダウンタウンのチーズケーキファクトリーでした。恐らく私の16歳の誕生日だったと思います。
あの当時、アメリカのチーズケーキのような重たいチーズケーキは食べた事が無かったと思います。その頃には私はカナダにまたやって来る決心をしていたんで、まさかアメリカに行く事になるとは思ってもみなかったんですが。
多分メープルシロップよりも アメリカンチーズケーキの方に心躍らされたんでしょうねぇ。

アメリカに移動してから数回カナダを訪れる機会がありました。
時々もしアメリカでなくカナダを選択していたら、と考える事がよくありましたが
でも過去にとって”もしも”が全く意味をなさない用にいつも答えは謎のままです。
多分、カナダに移動していたらなぁと思った事があったかも知れません。でもやっぱり過去は現在に勝てないし、そして何よりも過去が今日の私へと導いてくれた事実が
何より私が正しい選択をしたと確信させてくれます。

今回はこの辺で。読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Almost Autumn

Questions to Be Answered