2017 and it's a women's year

Happy belated New Year!
Pigeon Dynamite had a wonderful year last year;
we had public sales TWICE with F.A.D. weekend, photographed by Tiffany Chen and featured in Urban Watch, and launched the official website.
Through my jewelry business, I've met so many talented, strong women who have visions that inspired me so much.
To me, last year was the year of empowering women.
Many were entrepreneurs and they share their voices and ideas and always encourage each other to make best out of the situations.
The words like "woman" or "feminine" or "girly" used to be one of those words that I felt somehow uncomfortable to be categorized in or labeled as.

Growing up, pink was the color that I hated the most.
I refused to wear anything in pink, or had lace around the skirt or sleeves.
Having two older sisters who were not particularly "girly" (but rather "scary" or "terrifying" to me since they are much older,) I may have got the idea of the girls who wore those pink clothes as quite alien-like type of girls I didn't understand.
As for my mom, I don't recall making any trouble for her to dress me. I think actually she liked the fact that I chose such funky clothes all the time. But I also remember the time I wore this very chic black velvet dress with white lace around my socks for my piano recital, she looked at me, telling me how cute I look. I was probably around four or five, with the funniest mushroom haircut that made me look like a LEGO. I realized something about those "girly" stuff I had to wear made my mom really happy even though I thought, and I still think, I looked funny.
From there on though, even as a child, I sort of figure out that being a girl and making myself more of a "girly" girl was something that you do to please other people. At least, to me, it was.
And I hated that. I hated the fact that I had to act certain way, or wear something that I don't want to, just so that other people will smile at me.
Every time my family event happened where all my far away cousins and their parents gathered, people told me to "smile" because I wasn't acting"girl-like-manner."
I felt so ridiculous that I had to be a certain way only because I am a girl so that I have to make people like me by pretending to be someone that I am not. 
Being a difficult teenager is annoying enough, I refused to show up all these family events early on.
But there was the time I remember so clearly, when I found this L'Oreal dial mascara on my sister's makeup desk, I was so curious about these dials around the container and immediately wanted to try it on. I was eleven or twelve and looked at myself in the mirror with the horrible first attempt on putting mascara that made me look more like Robert Smith (from the Cure), but I remember that made me feel like a "girl" almost for the first time.
That was a confirmation that I was a girl who like to put a makeup on, which is "girly."
I still refused to wear pink, but I remember when Anna Sui released the pink mascara, I was so crazy about that pigment. It was this vivid, bubble gum like hot pink color.
Just on my lashes, it was perfect amount of pink I could handle at that time. (And later on, I'd dye my hair pink.)
It took some time, but I learned the way to make people like me. The easiest way I found was to be honest with myself first.
Eventually I was comfortable with myself to act the way how I wanted to act, say what I thought it was appropriate to say, and stopped worrying about what everyone would say or think about me.
Girls are constantly being judged, maybe just as much as we judge each other, but once you let that go, it's really easy to find peace. I know this because I went through six years of private female school and saw absolutely the worst and the best we could do to each other.
My idea of girls who wear pink now changed and it's the color now that I see as celebration of being a girl and a woman just as I see blue or gray or any colors.
We don't have to be the way how others expect to be.
We don't need to pull each other down so that you can feel better about yourself, but pull each other up so that we can see higher.
When we back each other by action and by words, it is the best way to support each other.
I make jewelry to support those women who have a strong style, who are motivated, and are not afraid to voice their opinion.
https://www.pigeondynamite.com/collections/ring/products/diamond-quartz-gold-ring

https://www.pigeondynamite.com/collections/ring/products/melted-metal-stream-double-finger-ring?variant=26360201289

https://www.pigeondynamite.com/collections/ring/products/labradorite-halo-ring?variant=28423316233


https://www.etsy.com/listing/474241535/raw-garnet-pink-silver-jukai-ringready?ref=shop_home_active_19
I truly hope my jewelry can encourage women and brighten their every day.

Thanks for reading,

遅ればせながら、明けましておめでとうございます。
こんなに長い間ブログをサボってしまっていて申し訳ないです。
ただただ去年は忙しく過ぎて行ってしまったのですが、
でもとても充実した一年となりました。これも皆様のおかげです。
昨年は、2度もマーケットイベントに参加し、
オンラインマガジンにもフューチャーして頂き、そして
オフィシャルサイトをローンチできたことが大きかったと思います。
ジュエリーの仕事を通して、たくさんのパワフルな女性にも出会いました。
彼女の多くは起業女子と呼ばれる女性で、本当に良い刺激をもらえます。
お互いを応援し合い、意見を述べることを恐れない、素晴らしい女性達です。
どんな辛い状況下でも最善を尽くしてより良い環境にしようと決してあきらめない。
こういった女性は日本では恐れられる傾向にありますね。
それは実はアメリカでも同じです。
多少でも女らしい振る舞いをしていた方が、物事が楽に進むのは本当だったりします。
私は昔からそういう環境や状況に我慢なりませんでした。
「女の子らしく」とかガーリーなものにやや抵抗感がずっとありました。
それは小さな頃からです。ピンクの服なんて絶対に着ませんでした。
何となく女の子らしく振舞う事が自分では不自然だったから。
フリル付きの服なんてものは嫌でしょうがなかったです。
でも母には突拍子もない変わった服を着せてもらっていたので、私が好んで変な色の服なんかを着ても全く困った顔をされたりしたことがありませんでした。
それでもピアノのリサイタルで黒のベルベットのドレスに
フリフリのついた靴下を穿かされたマッシュルームカットのレゴのおもちゃみたいな私をみて「可愛い」とニッコリ笑っていた母をよく覚えています。
私は多分4歳かそれくらいだったと思いますが、多分そのあたりから、自分が女の子であることを強調すればするほど、周りは自分に好印象を持ってくれるんだろうなと理解し始めたような記憶があります。
私はそれが窮屈でなりませんでした。
親戚一同が集まるイベントなんぞしようものなら、皆寄ってたかって
「女の子なんだからニコニコしなさい」とか
「女の子なんだかこうしない。ああしなさい。」云々と言ってくるのが疎ましくてしょうがなかったです。
思春期に差し掛かる頃にはこう言った集まりにはめっぽう全力で顔を出さないようにするようにしました。
自分が笑いたくないのにニコニコして皆の機嫌をとるなんてなんて馬鹿らしいんだ、と思っていました。そしてその理由が単に自分が女の子だから、という事が一番腑に落ちませんでした。
それでも、今でも鮮明に覚えている出来事がいくつかあります。
私が12歳くらいの頃、姉の化粧代にロレアルのダイアルマスカラという何とも興味をそそられるパッケージのマスカラを見つけました。
ダイアルを回して、ちょっとまつげに塗ってみます。
初めてのマスカラに慣れない私をTHEキュア のロバートスミスみたいなパンダ目に変えた
その姿を鏡で見て、何となく心踊るような気持ちになったのを覚えています。

お化粧に興味は持っても、女子校に中高と通って、女はこうあるべき、みたいなことを聞けば聞くほど
そうは絶対ならないぞ、みたいな抵抗心が湧いていました。
ピンクのマスカラがアナスイから発売されて、ようやくピンクをまつげに塗る位からピンクに対して抵抗がなくなって来ました。。まつげだけども。。
長い時間がかかったけれど、自分らしくあることを受け入れて、周りの声に振り回されすぎないようにすることを学びました。
自分が自分らしく振舞って、正しいと思うことを述べることを恐れないようになってからは、ピンク色に抵抗を覚えることもなくなりました。
むしろ、女性であることをお祝いするような色だと思えるようになりました。
たとえそれがグレーであっても、ブルーであっても。
女性であるから、というだけでジャッジされることが多いのは事実ですが、
先ずは女性同士が味方になって、お互いをサポートしていく事が重要だと思います。
これからは言葉で、アクションで、お互いを支え合っていかなくちゃと思います。
今年は女性が先導していく年にしましょう!
私のジュエリーが強い女性のパワーになれるように、
毎日を明るくして、エネルギーを与えられるようなジュエリーとして届けられるように
これからも頑張ります!

読んでくれた人、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Autumn

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Questions to Be Answered