Pigeon Dynamite's first Artists&Fleas

 


September 14th, Pigeon Dynamite had its first public sale debut at Artists&Fleas in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
For those of you who do not know what Artists&Fleas is;
Artists&Fleas provides their warehouse space for the selected designers/vendors to sell their products
and is open to public every weekends.
(check out their website for more information:Artists&Fleas)
A few vendors are permanent, some are longer terms, others are short term and could be the first time sellers just like me. So there are always new vendors selling variety of goodies.
(Though there are MANY jewelry vendors, literally more than half the vendors sell jewelry.)
And Williamsburg is very well populated area in Brooklyn now. 
There is Smorgasburg (another food vendors outdoor event. Spectacular. Just awesome.) on every Saturdays and Brooklyn Flea on every Sundays happening right by the East River which is just a block from Artists&Fleas venue.

Pigeon Dynamite's first debut at Artists&Fleas started early Saturday morning of September 14th.
Well..it really began when I got accepted by Artists&Fleas a month ago.
Artists&Fleas rule is simple. 
The table they provide is 5-feet long and each vendor gets 6x6 booth space.
I had to come up with the display using what I have to minimize the decoration cost and think how many pieces I could show, how to show.
Until the morning of the Artists&Fleas, I did not know which spot I could get.
So I spent some time thinking different ways to display items depending on which spot I was going to get.

The morning of Fleas, my team (J&M&myself) got to the venue as soon as they opened for loading.
I put most of the items in boxes and bags so loading process went pretty smooth.

 It was a chilly morning..

Then we were given the space in the back corner, which actually turned out to be a great spot.
We were right next to the fitting space, and the corner spot. So, even though it was all the way back, we still could get good amount of people.
We started setting up and were ready to sell right on time when the venue opened to the public.
 M and I setting up for the opening.

But of course, not many people come at 10AM on Saturday morning for shopping.
Some tourists would come by every now and then, but morning was pretty quiet.
My first customer purchased a pair of new collection earrings almost three hours later the venue opened.

These earrings were the fist to go.

Then it got busier around the time people finish their brunch in the neighborhood.

Normally, I have enormous appetite that even cage free pigs might get scared of 
and would go nuts over events like Smorgasburg.
(This hungry miss piggy have gone alone and got two famous Dough's huge donuts, a lobster roll and mazemen by myself once.)
But I was a seller that day, so miss piggy stayed in her booth, trying to sell her bacon.
Luckily my awesome team got me some Takoyaki (octopus balls, Osaka's specialty food) from Smorgasburg for my lunch. It tasted extra yummy.
 but I think I was still hungry...

After 2 or 3, the time started passing quickly. More people came in to the venue
and we got quite good crowd in the back.
There were some customers just came to tell me they liked my hat calling it "kitty hat" but it really was just to hide my horns.
Many times customers asked me about MUJI's aroma room lamp that I was putting inside of the display wine box.

 It's pretty awesome, actually..
Any conversation was much to welcome but I specially enjoyed talking with customers with their kids who liked to hold my business cards for some reasons. Do kids like any small cards or is it just a sign of them acquiring credit cards already?

In any case, it was a good sign though. 1 out of 25 people would stop by my shop,
1 out of 30 people would get my business card,
and 1 out of 100 people would purchase something.
It was great talking with customers as well as experienced vendors 
and I was extremely happy to see my friends came to support me.
And many others who couldn't make it still sent me good luck and sweet messages.
It really meant so much to me.
M was with me the whole time, and she is just amazing.
She does modeling for Pigeon Dynamite sometimes too, 
so she was such a charm in the booth.

In the afternoon, we had a surprise TV shoot from a Japanese cable TV program.
They were from Kyushu area and were shooting Artists&Fleas.
I don't even know if we'll be in, but that'll be kinda cool.

By the end of the day, half the amount of my business cards were gone.
And I ended up selling a few more than I had expected.
Because I was there only a day, so I cannot compare if the day was slower than usual or if we had better crowd than usual.
But I learned a lot from my next neighbor vendor who was also a jewelry maker.
 Closing up.My sweet sister in law got me this cute Scottish tweed bag and has been my jewelry making supply handy bag.

I knew this was going to be a challenge, and I never expected it to be easy.
I honestly had prepared for nothing-sold worst case scenario somewhere in my mind.
But other vendor told me if I paid off my vendor fee for the first time and even made profit, 
I should think I had a good start. And I did.
I could not have done this without my supporters.
Pigeon Dynamite has started just by first three items on Etsy and now has more than twenty times more items because I had such great support and they made me believe that I could do this.
As long as I could find great happiness and not forget to appreciate the support I'm given by selling the jewelry I make, I would like to keep doing this.
If I ever became to forget to appreciate, that'd be the time for me to stop making.
Artists&Fleas gave me an opportunity to really communicate with customers and has made me re-discover how amazing it is to sell my own creation.
It was a good day.


Thanks for reading.






9月14日はPigeon Dynamiteの初のパブリックセールがArtists&Fleasで行われました。
Artists&Fleasは何かと簡単に説明すると、様々なアーティストに個々にスペースを提供して
週末にフリーマーケットを行うチームです。
いくつかのベンダーは半永久的にスペースを確保しているみたいですが、
大半は長期、短期で入れ替わるので毎回面白い発見があるべニューです。

そして何よりウィリアムズバーグのここ数年の人気もあって、
Smorgasburgなどの出店が毎週土曜日、Brooklyn Fleaが毎週日曜にイーストリバー側の広場で開催されるようになりました。それも手伝って、週末は特に人でにぎわっているエリアです。

 Pigeon Dynamiteのデビューは9月14日でしたが、
アクセプトされたその1ヶ月前から準備は始まっていました。
ルールは至ってシンプルで5フィート(だいたい150センチくらい?)の
テーブルが支給されて、各ベンダーに6フィートかけ6フィートのブースが割当てられます。
そのスペース内でできるだけデコレーションにかけるコストを抑えつつ、
どうやって自分のジュエリーをディスプレイして、どう見せようか、
いくつ見せれるか、等幾度となく試行錯誤してはデモを繰り返して
いくつか案を絞っていきました。
(当日迄どのスポットが割り当てられるのか分からない為
場所によって見方が良くなる様に対応しないといけないので。)


うちのチームはJとMと私で朝からバンで会場迄乗り付けて(て、地元なんですが)
運び込み作業開始です。
寒い朝だったぁ〜。
こうやって、土壇場で釘を打ち込む作業。。


私のブースは一番奥のコーナーでした。
意外にも良いスポットである事に後になって気づくんですが。
フィッティングルームの隣だったのもあって、
一番奥の割に結構な人だかりをゲットする事ができました。 


しかしながら、週末朝10時からお買い物に来るお客様はやっぱり少なく、
観光客がたまにちらっとくる程度で、朝は静かに過ぎていき。。
最初のお買い上げされたお客様が来られたのはオープンから3時間近くしてからでした。


最初に売れたピアス

その後はブランチを済ませたローカルのひとや、観光客がどっと流れ込んできて
いい具合に混み始めました。

普段でしたら、私も異常な食欲で近くの Smorgasburgに
放し飼いされている家畜の豚の勢いで向かうとこなんですが、
今回は売り手なのでさすがに売り場から離れる事もせず。。
(以前、ドーナツ2個とロブスターロールにまぜ麺をひとりで平らげた事もあるたまに満腹中枢が麻痺する私。。)
でもこの子豚はおとなしく売り場にとどまるも、チームメンバーをパシリにたこ焼きを買って来てもらってひとりパクパク食べていました。
でもまだおなかはいっぱいにならず。。
何なんだ私は。 
 2時、3時を過ぎた頃から人だかりも出来たりして時間はいい感じに流れました。
 ただただ私にかぶってる帽子可愛いねと言いに来るだけのひとも結構居ました。
「その猫の帽子良いね!どこで買ったの?」みたいな感じで。。
私からしたら猫じゃなくて角なんですが。
あとはヴィンテージのワインボックスに置いておいた無印のディフューザーが
結構注目されて沢山のひとから質問を受けました。



どんな会話でもほんと歓迎だったのですが、特に私が楽しんだのは
ローカルの子連れのひとたちです。
何故かキッズはカードを握るのが好きらしく、結構な割合でビジネスカードを持っていかれました。何でなんですかね?クレジットカード前の練習かな?
(だったら恐ろしいが。。)

ともあれ25人にひとり位の割合で皆さん私のショップに立ち止まってくれて、
30人にひとりはショップのカードを取ってくれて、
100人見てもらって1点売れる、位のペースでした。良いサインだったと思います。
ずっと経験のあるベンダーのひとと話が出来た事もとても大きかったです。
あと、友達がサポートに来てくれた事が凄く嬉しかったです。
遠くからのメッセージや励ましのコメントも私を元気づけてくれました。
初めての事だったので気弱だった私を1日そばで店番を手伝ってくれた
チームのMにもとても感謝しています。彼女が居なかったらだいぶ心細かったです。
そういう彼女はPDのモデルもやってくれてます。
なので一緒にブースに立ってくれて見栄えもしたと思います(自慢げ)

午後にはサプライズな事に日本のケーブルテレビ局の撮影があって
ちょっと撮らせて下さいと言われたり。。九州のケーブルテレビ。。何故ここに。
まだ使うか分からないそうですが、そうなったらそれはそれで面白いですね。。
 

1日の終わりには持っていった半分以上のビジネスカードがなくなっていました。
あと予想してたよりも数点多く売る事が出来ました。
でも初めてだったので、当日が忙しい日だったのかどうか比べる事もできないんで
何とも言えませんが、割に人も多くて良い日だったと思います。
日曜も出していたらなとちょっと後悔です。
でもお隣のジュエリーデザイナーのベンダーの方と色々話せて
良いアドバイスも頂けてとても良い経験になりました。
  
 終わった日には。。クタクタですよ。

最初からチャレンジな事をしているのは分かっていたので、まさか簡単にうまくいくなんて
思った事もなく、むしろ全く何も売れなかった場合を想定していた私が常に頭のどこかに居ました。告白すると。
でも他のベンダーのひとと話したときに、初日でベンダー料が取れて尚かつ売り上げがあれば良いスタートだと言われて、それが達成出来た事に本当に安心、感謝しました。
本当に皆のサポート無しではここ迄来れなかったです。
初めて Etsy に商品を出した時は3点しか無かったのに、今では常に
その20倍以上の数を揃える事が出来ました。
ジュエリーを作る事に喜びを見つけて、支えてくれる周りのひとに感謝する気持ちを忘れない限り、続けていきたいと思っています。
もしも、それを忘れるような事になったらその時は作る事をやめる時だと決めています。
今回の経験がお客様と実際にコミュニケーションを取って、自分の作り上げたものを売る
という事がどんなに素晴らしい事なのか再発見させてくれました。
長かったようであっという間だった、良い日でした。
読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Almost Autumn

Questions to Be Answered