Obatarian spirit of mind

In the late 80s, there was this incredibly original character which became 
the Japanese social phenomenon through 90s yet that was something 
people had already known its existence called Obatarian.
Obatarian on the cover

Obatarian is the Japanese 4-cell-manga, called yon-koma manga, that started in the late 80s
and became phenomenally popular in Japan. 
Obatarian is a coined word of "Obasan" which means old women in Japanese and "Battalion" which is the Japanese title for the '85 American horror movie "The Return of the Living Dead."
I am not a horror movie fan and have never watched the series (supposedly they've made 
5 of them so far.) but according to the reviews, this movie is significantly different from 
any of the zombie movies around the period that they say the zombies could sprint like athletes, have brains just like human, and most ridiculously they never "get killed" or "die."

Anyhow-this Obatarian was the Japanese manga character and eventually became 
the word to describe "shameless" and "importunate" 
middle-aged women in Japan.

To say how big she/the manga was, her existence became the word to categorize middle-aged women.
If we think about it, non-real life characters like Homer Simpson never became a word 
to describe middle-aged men.

I remember my first time reading the manga and the impact of her intensity that was just so comical and hysterical.
There was one episode where people find the Fuki, or bog rhubarb, on the street and
say things like "oh it's almost spring." " how lovely."  and be very content by finding 
the little nature in the city.
Then Obatarian showed up overrunning the flowers with her bicycle, holding fryer of sale.
Somehow instantly, her characteristics seemed all so familiar to me. 
Come to think of it, I must have been surrounded by those intense middle-aged strong women living in Osaka.

Now the word Obatarian probably is a dead language.
But the characteristics of its word seem to have the power to convince me that they still exist.
According to the illustrator, the symptom of Obatarian is;
-you feel good when you can be brazen.
-you don't know the distinction of confidence and sense of shame.
-you justify yourself no matter what.

I cannot be so confident to say everyone has the top two symptoms but 
I almost think that the last part could describe majority of today's society.

One interesting line I found as I was researching about Obatarian was that
she could drive a car in PJ. (part of her characteristics, lack of sense of shame.)
I don't think I've done it, but while I was in college in California, I went to school
in the outfit as embarrassing as driving in PJ.
At that time I was taking way too many credits in a semester, so I didn't care what I wore
and one day I realized in a class that I was wearing head-to-toe stripe clothes that 
made me look like a prisoner.
It didn't particularly embarrassed me, but made me start giggling alone in a class.
I do not know how much Obatarian in me that was.

But today's world, I wonder how many act like Obatarian?



Pigeon Dynamite is Obatarian-Free jewelry...

Thanks for reading,



突然ですが日本の80年代後半から90年代にかけて社会現象にもなった
オバタリアン、覚えていますでしょうか。

調べてみると、実はバタリアンというアメリカで85年に公開されたゾンビ映画とおばさんの組み合わせから生まれた造語らしいです。
ホラー映画はあんまり観ないんですが、この映画どうも5本もシリーズ化されてるらしく、
当時としては他のゾンビ映画と違って、どうもゾンビが相当早いスピードで走れたり、
頭脳明晰だったり、そして何ともしょーもないんですが、とにかく”死なない”らしいです。

ともあれこのオバタリアン、その名前自体が更年期のおばさん達の代名詞にまでなってしまった
凄い存在だったんですね。
どれ程その存在が偉大かというと、とにかくキャラクターが
”あつかましい”とか”ずうずうしい”とかいう形容詞の代行になる例が他に見当たらないとこにあります。例えばホーマーシンプソンは有名だけど中年の事を指している用語ではないですね。

私が初めて本で読んだ時の衝撃は今でも覚えています。何よりも彼女のインパクトのデカさと
強烈なキャラが面白おかしくて大好きでした。
今でも覚えているエピソードで、街のひとが道端でふきのとうを見つけて、
”あら、ふきのとう。もう春ね”とか”あ、ふきのとう。”と言ってほのぼのとした幸せな
流れだったんですが、そこに突如
セールのチラシを握り締め猛スピードでチャリンコをこぐオバタリアンが現れ
花ともども蹴散らしていくんです。。。
そして何でかこのキャラに親しみを抱いてしまってました。
恐らく大阪に住んでいたので、オバタリアンに囲まれて生活していたんだろうと思われ?


オバタリアン自体が今では死語になっていますが、
その言葉の持つ性質は未だに現代にも残っていると思います。
作者による分析では、オバタリアン症候群というのがあるらしく、
それは”ずうずうしくなれる自分が嬉しい”
”羞恥心がなくなっていくことと自信がつくことの区別がつかない”
”なんであれ自分を正当化しつづける”
だそうです。
最初の2項目はどうかわかりませんが、とにかく最後のひとつは正に現代人の事を言ってるような気がしてなりません。。




リサーチしていく上で見つけたオバタリアンについて面白い項目があったんですが、
オバタリアンはどうもパジャマで運転できるらしい。。
私でも多分やった事はないんですが、でもカリフォルニアでカレッジに通ってた時
クラスを取りすぎていたせいか、気がついたら全身ストライプ、みたいな事がありました。
何だか刑務所から出てきてクラスにそのまま来た、みたいな格好だったので
恥ずかしがる前にクラスでひとり吹き出してしまいました。
今思えばあれはどの程度のオバタリアンだったのか。

今日の世界で、オバタリアン、もといそういう振る舞いをする人
いったい何人いるんでしょうねぇ。

Pigeon Dynamiteはオバタリアンフリーなジュエリーでございます。。
日本語でも対応しています。メインサイトはこちら
ブログから購入の仕方の説明をさせて頂いています。購入法はこちらから
チェックしてみてくださいね!


読んでくれたひと、ありがとう。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Autumn

I Wanna Be Buried in Dots

Questions to Be Answered